Friday, September 24, 2010

...When I Was A Kid

Just a couple weeks ago, a video from youtube.com showed up on my facebook account from my little sister. It was an old clip from Disney channel we must of watched over a dozen times when we were kids. As I danced in my chair to the familiar music, memories from when I was a kid came flooding back and it warmed me to the core.



When my sisters and I were kids we didn't have cable. Our grandmother in VT, thinking of us, taped several hours of Disney channel cartoons on VHS tapes. We treasured every one of them, from the holiday specials to the random Mickey Mouse and Goofy cartoons. Cartoons were so much better back then.
I remember waking up early, running out in my pj's. Crawling up onto the counter in the kitchen on my hands and knees to kneel up and reach for my favorite Smurf coffee mug in the cupboard. Only to hop down and quickly fill it up with dry cereal so I could join my sisters with theirs in the living room. We would plop down in front of the TV for Saturday morning cartoons and munch on our sugary cereal. That was our idea of bliss on the weekends. Weekends quickly came to an end and before we knew it, it was Sunday night (bath night). Sat in our jammies with our brushed out wet hair, as we all waited for Tinkerbell to come out from behind Cinderella's castle. We watched Wonderful World of Disney right before we were sent off to bed.
After she sent me that video I started looking for every Disney cartoon I could remember growing up. Gotta love the internet sometimes, though it has its faults, I was miraculously able to find each and every video I could think of. Even some I had forgotten. Memories of this and that and, being a kid with no worries came back to me quickly. I miss those days. Growing up we always heard about how we should cherish every moment, because you grow up fast. "Someday you will miss being a kid." I couldn't wait to grow up, now I find myself one of the 'grown ups' saying those same things to kids nowadays. I can't wait to someday share these same cartoons with my kids.

No comments: