Sunday, September 2, 2012

To Be Or Not To Be...

To be vegan or not to be? Hmm...VEGAN!! For me the option was kind of simple. Since I realized not too long ago that I am indeed allergic to dairy (not lactose intolerant). And eggs make me kinda sick anyways. The only thing left to cut out was meat. And I stopped eating red meat a long time ago (just lost the taste for it).
I have managed so far, to cut meat out, pretty much completely. Other than the odd slice of chicken once in a great while (eating out can be a challenge), or a crumble of bacon that I couldn't avoid. I have gone vegan.
There was a time when I thought there was no way in hell I would ever go vegan, or vegetarian for that matter. I thought I would have to eat like a rabbit the rest of my life. And the fact that I loved chicken especially, and ate meat every day as the main course for dinner. I thought there was no way I would ever change that. Nor did I see a reason to change it. 'Til about a month or so ago, and I read a certain book (Skinny Bitch), and my outlook changed, completely! I have also watched documentaries like Forks Over Knives, Food, Inc, and Vegucated.
I am now in the process of searching out vegan recipes, as I am at a loss as to what to cook. Since my 2" 3-ring binder is 98% full of meat consuming recipes. It is all still a little new to me and I have taken to trying all sorts of new foods.
So far I am greatly enjoying the benefits! I feel SO much better! Not so tired, full of energy. I can't even stomach meat now. I get a stomach ache later. I have dropped two sizes (leaving me with less to wear, haha). And trust me, I eat plenty. I love food too much to starve. :)
I am also grateful for how supportive most of my family is about it, and how much they have tried to accommodate me when we have get-togethers. Don't think it has gone unnoticed :)
Hope to keep losing weight, and find some fancy new recipes. So far I am loving going vegan!

No comments: