Wednesday, July 16, 2008

...Playing Tourist cont'd

One other place we went to was the Duke Homestead and Tobacco Museum. Not that I condone smoking, but my gosh, the things that tobacco has done for this state, let alone the Durham area is astounding. I will admit I wasn't too excited about going to a tobacco museum, but we were floored when we heard all that went into growing tobacco, and all that is has done for the area in the past...without it they wouldn't have Duke University, Duke Energy (the local electric company), the Durham Bulls baseball team, or even baseball cards! Anyways, here was some of the stuff we saw...

Um, yah, this was a replica of the Liberty Bell, made entirely of tobacco leaves!


This would be one of the buildings they originally would of dried the leaves in.


And this is what it would of looked like inside.

This building they would "beat" the dried leaves, as demonstrated by our guide....

And we saw the original house the Duke's lived in, very simple, very small inside...and very warm, I am sooo grateful for my central air :-) It was fun learning a bit of history.

No comments: