Monday, July 14, 2008

Still a little homesick

Don't get me wrong, I love my new state, but every once in awhile I get a sad feeling. I still miss New Hampshire, and I think part of me always will. Although Michael assures me we will visit as often as we can, I still miss walking out my front door and being there.
Things have been much easier for us since moving here to North Carolina, and the weather is great (except for the hair frizz from the humidity sometimes, hehe). But I was one of those die hard new englanders that loved being able to say that I live in NH. The little state most people don't even know about down here. At least I can say that I grew up there. It's one of those, you appreciate it more after you lose it kinda deals. I always thought I would be able to share alot of the things I did growing up with my children, but my kids won't know what it was really like growing up north. That kinda makes me sad. They won't know the huge family gatherings I did growing up, because unfortunately I can't move all of my family and friends down south. Won't be able see it when you drive down a snowy road, just after a storm, while everything is still pure white, and when the sun comes up, the snow looks like pink lace on the tree tops. A quick drive to the coast, and your in the sand, and free to explore tide pools. Or a trip to the mountains in the fall, and hiking to the top of a mountain, and it looks like the forest is on fire from all the changing leaves. Those are some of the great things I loved seeing growing up, and I am thankful to my parents for taking us everywhere they did, Alot of hiking and camping trips left alot of great memories. I am looking forward to trying to find all the hidden places here.
We will just have to enjoy NH on our vacations! At least I know I'm not the only one that feels like this, Cortney is still referring to North Carolina as "South Hampshire" hehe. But who wouldn't miss being a short distance from this?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But just think, your kids will never have to worry about skidding off the road into a snowbank, freezing their butts off walking to school (uphill both ways). Your grandkids can be amazed when seeing pictures of snow up to your knees...

Uncle Jon
Proud "GaDa" of one year old Joey

Mrs N said...

I know what you mean - I saw a clump of trees the other day, for some reason they reminded me of NY, and I missed it so badly it hurt. And that's after more than six years living in Oregon. I'm sure people down in NC consider you kind of exotic - people here always seem surprised to hear I am from so far away originally.