Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Subtle Differences

In just a matter of weeks it will officially be a year since Mike and I moved down to this "new to us" state. When I think about it, what on earth were we thinking in the first place? "Hey, let's move to a state that we have never even been to." "Okay, we'll move in a month." It didn't go exactly like that, but wasn't far off from it. Sometimes being crazy works out, in our case I like to think we did made the right decision, as crazy as it was. There has been alot changes since then. Like our living situation, having a house and all its responsibilities. Mike's Mom moved here with us from Texas, and she is now back in NY state. Oh, and Mike is now my boss?! (Only at work, hehe) I work for Mike part-time now. (Pays off when your sleeping with the boss...kidding, kidding, hehe) Then there are the extra lil pets we picked up along the way. Toby and Lily have been great additions to our family of 3, which is now 5. Then there is just the general change in not only weather, but the way of life down here:

In NH, December means SNOW, get out the shovels and the snow blower!
In North Carolina, December means we gotta start getting around to raking and mow the lawn.

In NH, when I go to a store, not many people talk to me or greet me out of the blue (we are talking perfect strangers here). People seem to keep more to themselves..
In North Carolina, if you say one word out loud, just assume all within hearing distance will jump in on the conversation...even when your pumping gas. Everyone HAS to say Hi, and ask how you are doing...at the minimum. People will go wayyy out of their way to help you, all you have to do is ask. (I am still getting used to that.)

In NH, there are those with that good ol' New England accent, and they don't pronounce their "R's".
In North Carolina, you get that twang on the end of all your words. (I have to admit, I catch myself doing that alot, AHH!)

In NH, you have a higher energy cost in the winter to heat your home.
In North Carolina, you have a higher energy cost in the summer, to cool your home.

In NH, you have Dunkin' Donuts EVERYWHERE!
In North Carolina you have Food Lion EVERYWHERE!

In NH, Mike and I were only an hour away from the mountains and an hour away from the ocean.
In North Carolina, same concept, we are the same distance away from the mountains as we are the ocean. Only here we are hours away from each.

Some things don't change, like bad drivers, those seem to be everywhere. And of course our favorite store, Target, is everywhere too, how convenient :-)

I wonder what will happen in the next year. Hopefully more good then bad. :-) Maybe even a much needed trip up north! Love and miss everyone!

No comments: