Wednesday, August 24, 2011

♪ ♫ Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On ♫ ♪

Tuesday I was in the craft room paintin' and minding my own business when I heard something from the roof. At first I thought it was a squirrel and the louder it got, for a second I was seriously wondering if someone was up there! Then I realized that the ceiling fans were moving and so was my chair! Everything in the room was rattling. That can't be...an earthquake?? I ran out of the room only to meet my mother at the doorway saying "We are having an earthquake!"
My mom thought at first that I was behind her jumping up and down or making her chair move. Until she turned to catch me in the act and realized, I wasn't there! (I have no idea why she immediately jumped to that conclusion, hehe) She heard the dishes rattling in the cupboards of the kitchen and saw the lights lightly swaying from the ceiling. That was when she realized what was really going on, and ran to get me from the craft room.

It only lasted 30-60 seconds...we were soon on the phone with Beepa, who thought her kitty Becky had somehow climbed into her recliner she was sitting in and was trying to get out! Wasn't Becky moving her seat. ☺ Immediately after we were on facebook where friends and relatives all over the east coast were saying they felt the earthquake too. It took the news a bit of time to catch up with what happened. The phone lines were all jammed and we were having alot of trouble getting ahold of anyone. Letting everyone know that we were just fine. Just a lil' "shaken up".
Later the news reported that it was indeed an earthquake located in VA, and it was a 5.8 or 5.9 depending on who reported it. Once the phones were working again the county even called verifying that our county did indeed experience an earthquake and giving us a number to call to report any kind of damage.
I heard somewheres that we only had a 2.5 here. So no biggie, but I sure don't wanna have that happen again, once was enough for me!

No comments: