Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fay arrived

Tropical Storm Fay let her presence be known yesterday. After being blamed for several deaths further south, the remnants of the storm came to our neck of the woods yesterday, and she packed a heck of alot of rain. Most of Wednesday it stormed, and we had a bit of a scare with a tornado watch (the pets and I spent a little time in the closet under the stairs, since we have no basement and the weather people told us to take cover NOW! They said with all the rain, we wouldn't hear it coming til it was too late). Luckily we didn't have a tornado here, but last night she really let loose with the rain. I made the mistake (I say mistake, because it freaked me out a bit) of looking out the window...squinting, with only the street light to see, I saw what looked like a river coming out of the woods, and through our yard. They warned us about flash flooding, and they weren't kidding. About 6 inches deep and 10 feet or more across, was the worst one out there, there were of course several other streams going every which way. I wasn't sure if my car would still be there in the morning, as there was white cresting water barreling into all our vehicles.
I took the liberty (between the torrential rain, and "house shaking" thunder) of taking the dog out late last night so he could take a wee-wee, and I could scope things out...good thing I did, because, I just so happened to look over and see debris and water trying to come out from under the door to our crawlspace. I continued to open said door and let the debris out...to let the water, which was gushing out from under our house, have a easier time of it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep too well last night. Between the worry, and the lightning lighting up the house.
Waking up this morning, was weird. Just like yesterday, the windows are still steamed up, its almost tropical outside, from the storm. The skies are still gray, and there is an eerie calm outside. I went out and I heard no birds, no bugs, no squirrels fighting for nuts...just the sound of chainsaws (there was a tree across the road). I got a good look, and well, we were lucky. Parts of our driveway are pretty much gone (so is all our bark mulch), the water washed it all into the woods, but our cars are alive. There is mess to clean up, but our house is still here, and everyone is safe.



I think the only thing that kept the railroad ties from going any further, was Mike's Jeep was in the way.



All the stuff that came out with the water from under the house.




That's all the gravel, that is suppose to be our driveway, looks like we have a sidewalk going through the woods now! That's the best way I can describe it... All the leaves and brush were also taken out of the woods, I don't know where it went. There was also a black tube that must of been buried under the ground, it's now exposed, and I don't quite know what it goes to.



Toby being the 'model' hehe...as you can see, the new "sidewalk" to your left and the strip of wooded area and then the driveway on the right. Something is wrong with this picture? There was no sidewalk when we moved in!


I guess we will be spending the weekend fixing the driveway, trying to get everything as even as possible so that we won't get stuck. I couldn't get over how much was moved, and how much of the wooded area was just washed right out.


Those few pieces of gravel were all that were holding up most of my car this morning!! Everything else was washed right out from underneath it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're safe, and no real damage to your home. Just a little backbreaking work! Take care and my love to you both! I love reading your blog. We miss you!
Love, Aunt Marianne