Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bash from the past

I was going through some old photos and came across some pictures of our Memorial Day Bash '96. This as many know, was one of many bashes we held in Vermont every 2-3 years at Beepa's house on Memorial Day weekend. We had so much fun! Alot of planning and prep work was put into such an event, one of the reasons we didn't do one every year :-) Friends and family came from all over the country. A port-a-potty was rented for the weekend, everything was cleaned, the food was bought in bulk, and tents were popped up.

Of course when us girls got there, we were on a mission. The upstairs of my grandmother's barn was designated for the kids to camp out in, and we had to go up, arrange the furniture that existed up there and vacuum up all the dead flies before everyone arrived! Then we had the task of making posters, and helping with the kids events, prizes and the ribbons; sometimes helping a little in the food preparation.

I have alot of memories from those parties: Undergarments up the flagpole, laying in your sleeping bag trying to hold "it" as long as possible to try and avoid the inevitable cold of the port-a-potty early in the morning, someones mooning mishap (we won't mention names, really no need, they are on video, hehe), popcorn relays, the water balloon toss, the three legged race, the adults playing horseshoes (which us kids had to steer clear off, they were always afraid they would ding us in the head), of course the shirts my mom had made (those were worn with pride), and visiting with all our friends and family...many of which I only saw when we had a bash.

There has been some talk of having another bash here in North Carolina. I hope it happens, and we have alot of people show!


The 3-legged race!


Aunt Dot and Beepa, showing off their ribbons...nice sweatshirts ladies!




Some of us kids eating breakfast.




Did I mention there was Alot of food?!



Oh, and who could forget when Murphy and Zeke ran away? This would be my best friend Amanda (left) and I (right) giving Murphy a bath, don't know what they got into in their travels, but it smelled. (Unfortunately, Amanda has since passed away)



I still have my T-shirt!


I also have some of my ribbons, and the name tag that they made us all wear one year to know who was who.

No comments: